Steel Terminology

I am reviewing something that makes the following statement about placing concrete for a slab on ground around steel columns.  It doesn't sound quite right to refer to a column as a steel 'I' beam.  What's a better way of saying this?

"If the column is a steel 'I' beam then the concrete in the area between the flanges should be placed first and wrapped with the isolation material before  the slab is placed."

Gail Kelley