Re: Steel Terminology

I am not aware of anyone doing this for steel columns, filling the area between the steel flanges and then wrapping the column prior to placing the slab-on-grade.  My understanding of the standard of practice is to leave a block-out around the entire steel column (a diamond or circle shape as viewed in plan looking downward), place the slab-on-grade and after the structure is fully loaded (dead load for all floor levels above has been placed) then pour in the blockout around the column. The blockout is poured monolithic, pouring inbetween the steel column flanges as well as the entire block-out. The concrete surface can be tooled to help control shrinkage cracks, but I haven't seen anyone do this for steel columns. They just live with any cracking that might occur.  When its a square or rectangular concrete column I have seen contractors tool in a crack control joint (recess) at a diagonal to the four corners of the column (It is about 50-50 wheather the contractor places the crack control joints from the four corners of the column in the block-out).

Mike Cochran S.E.