Re: Steel Terminology

Mike:

As both Harold and Gail have pointed out, a "pin-wheel" column isolation
joint has been around for quite a while.  It is detail that I have used
very often.  One definite advantage is that it keeps possible vertical
movement between the concrete associated with the column vs. the concrete
with the rest of the slab right up next to the column.  This presents less
of a trip hazard and change in elevation that can cause trouble with
architectural elements (i.e. walls)...not to mention that the old diamond
and circle isolation joints can be an eye soar for various reasons.

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI