RE: Out-of-plane wind - king stud design

I was unable to find much time to respond to this issue. However, checking
both the Hardy and ShearMax information, I found that both frames are
checked in their ICBO reports for out-of-plane forces when they are
connected to the top plate OR NOT. It seems that the frames are much more
rigid out-of-plane than the typical mullions and king-posts around the rough
opening of sliding glass doors or windows. With that said, the frames and
connections to typical king posts appear to be within allowable values for
less than high-wind conditions (less than 90 mph and with Exposure C or
less).

Where high winds are evident, it is no doubt prudent to check the posts at
the end of the headers for adequate bracing for out-of-plane forces.

I'd still like to get into this issue in more depth once I have the
information I need from the frame manufacturers.

Regards,
Dennis

Dennis S. Wish, PE

California Professional Engineer