From: Craig Leech [mailto:cleech(--nospam--at)nyc.rr.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 04, 2004 9:16 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Modeling the subgrade modulus in Staad

Some of the programs I have used allow definition of the spring constant per unit area (modulus of subgrade reaction, I think it is called).  Thus the spring is applied to an element area.  The program then models this as a spring at each node, based on the tributary area.

The springs are typically linear elastic, sometimes with no tension.  To use a non-linear spring (I think this would cover the "coupling") typically requires a non-linear program.

MIDAS, SAFE and ETABS all have some of these options.

Craig