Re: Modeling the subgrade modulus in Staad

>Is there any program that is particularly good for this type of modeling?
Soil structure interaction is about as non-linear and indeterminate as it
gets. You could probably assume a conventional spring rate for the soil
modulus, once everything has settled, but settling and seismic
deformations including uplift resistance seem like anyone's guess. I once
had some docs for a Corps of Engineers program used to characterize soils
behavior for culvert design. If this were my problem I'd hit the Corps of
Engineers web site and see what I could find. They may have some software
to do it or at least some references or buzz words you could use to keep
searching. try <http://www.scirus.com/> as well as Google. Scirus is
aimed mainly at science and technology browsing.

I started to get into this with some buried tank designs, and it can get
extremely complicated. I'm pretty much convinced that soil structure
interaction isn't a lot more exact than predicting snowfall from the
behavior of groundhogs.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw