We all have seen much abuse and inadequate enforcement in special inspection practice. So, Santa Monica is getting geared up for taking control of the special inspection program. We will hire the special inspectors ourselves, assign them to projects, and oversee the quality control of their working practices. The owner will deposit a certain percentage of the construction cost at the beginning of the project and we will deduct the actual cost of the inspection from it as construction progresses.

Ben Yousefi, SE
Santa Monica, CA

>>> mbryson(--nospam--at)NYASE.com 05/04/04 08:32AM >>>
Yet another reason why engineers should do (or at least manage) the
special inspections themselves.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jnapd(--nospam--at)aol.com [mailto:Jnapd(--nospam--at)aol.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 04, 2004 7:28 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: structural observation - history?

Gary:

I wish the cities/counties would make the owner sign a agreement with
the engineer here in California. In my area the cities/counties don't
require verification from the SER before they alow construction to
proceed through the different stages. But, number one plan check
correction is provide structural observation.  And of course the
cities/counties want that letter.  I really doubt if they read our
exclusions.

Joe Venuti
Johnson & Nielsen Associates
Palm Springs,  CA