RE: Modeling the subgrade modulus in Staad

>I think all we can do from a practical standpoint is trying to construct
>some uppper & lower bound envelopes, understand the effects of different
>variables involved, and try to "engineer" a practical solution
On the buried tank problem, I started running some FEA runs to mimic the
so-called Iowa formula, which is commonly used for flexible wall tanks.
It really wasn't all that easy for a variety of reasons and I didn't get
too far along with it. The bounding approach is usually a pretty good way
to bracket the efects of non-linearities. With a little tailoring and
some thought about the physics of the specific problem is a good
approach. It doesn't satisfy the purists, but unlike purists, the
engineering biz has to avoid neurotic reactions to ambiguity.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw