RE: Special inspection abuses, was (structural observation - hist ory?)

Well, I just came back from an observation where a deputy inspector had
inspected and approved an ordinary moment frame connection. They used
machine bolts instead of the high strength bolts specified, they did not
remove the bottom tab bars, they did not weld the shear tab to the beam, and
they burned off the top of the column flush with the beam and stiffener
plates ignoring the 2.5" minimum column extension specified. How can you
trust these deputy inspectors and who "deputizes" them anyway?