RE: Special inspection abuses, was (structural observation - history?)

While we don't have special inspection requirements in Chicago; I can't tell
you
How many times I've gone to the job site just to view a concrete pour after
the
Rebar placement had been allegedly "inspected" by the owner's testing agency
and
The bar setting wasn't even close!

(guys still setting the bottom load, for Pete's sake!)

Numerous times I've had to stop the pour because things were so bad...

I'm convinced that many of these "testing agencies" are so busy being buddy
buddy with the GC and the subs that they lose sight of what they are
supposed to do...

Now that the techs are union, the QA seems far worse.

Thank God we're not in a seismic zone....

David L. Fisher SE PE
Fisher + partners
372 West Ontario
Chicago 60610