RE: Square Steel Tube Column Got Deflected/Damaged

At 09:59 PM 5/5/2004 -0400, you wrote:
I had this problem before but the column bowed around the impact location instead of shifting the top or bottom column connection what seems like you are describing.

If it did shift, then connections definitely need to be looked at for the top and base. Some additional lateral load will be added to your diaphragm due to the shift as stated previously.

Yes, I measured the drift at the ceiling level which is about 10 feet above the ground.  Drift at the plywood diaphragm level it may be less.  The bumper (truck) hit the column at about 3 feet off the ground.  At that point the movement is about 1.5" and I can see a dimple it has created.

Assume the top only drift 1" I have a 1/2" of bowing in this column.  I will attach that picture to your mail box.

However, I would double check there is not a bow in the column itself, then you clearly have to consider moment with axial in the column check.  I also had a significant local dent in the TS column that was damaged in my case which I ended up reinforcing around this area with plates.

Will

Thanks
Sam