RE: Rigid vs. Flexible Diaphragm

Guatam -

First of all, I'm very familiar with the four term equation used in
determination the deflection of a shearwall built of wood structural panels
(WSP), but it's good to know were are looking at the problem from the same
perspective.

I agree that nail slip is a significant term, but, when the goal of
enveloping RDA and FDA is to determine the outer bounds of possible loads a
shear wall might see, distribution based on capacity probably doesn't do
that.

If you have a four foot long by eight foot tall wall in line with a 20 foot
long x 8 ft tall wall, all four terms come into play in determining the
relative stiffnesses. As you stated, the flexural deflection (function of
h^3/b) and hold down deflections (function of h/b) may not be insignificant
in the short shear wall and there might not be any uplift at all in the
longer one (the last term going to zero except for the plate crushing
component). If that's the case, then using the capacities would still
overestimate the stiffness of the short shear wall and not transfer enough
load to the long shear wall. Using a 4 ft. wall coupled with a 20 ft. wall,
using 10d @ 4", the difference in stiffness (on a per foot basis) could be
as much as 30%. This analogy could also be used for shear walls on different
grid lines when using the RDA.

I know how difficult it can be to come to terms with the four term equation
(no pun intended). The nail slip formula is non-linear, but can easily be
programmed. Even if you consider it linear to capacity, that is probably
just slightly conservative. The chord member term is linear. The hold down
term is zero until there's uplift, and then I would say it would be safe to
consider its stiffness linear to its capacity. Plate crushing is linear. As
far as proprietary systems, I would say use a linear stiffness to capacity
unless you have any better data (holddown contribution?). The proprietary
systems (Hardy, Strong Wall, etc.) are short elements so there will be
uplift and flexure. Of course, if all the shear walls in your structure are
nice and long, you're right, there's not much difference.

I am by no means a programmer, but here's how I would do it. I would write a
spreadsheet with all of the shear walls on one grid line on one work sheet
(much like I do for masonry shear piers). I would set up each shear wall
section in a column and collect all the data from my other calculations. I
would tie the shear wall data to my shear wall schedule. I would set the
sheet up so that I could calculate the stiffness of each shear wall segment
and then the total stiffness of the grid line. I would feed in the results
from my FDA and have the load redistributed to the element based on relative
stiffness.

I would then compare the shear stress (PLF) based on the redistributed loads
and compare it to the capacity in my shear wall schedule. If the load in
_any_ shear wall element exceeds the capacity, I would bump up the shear
wall specification for all the elements on that grid line. Once I had all
the shear walls "compliant", I would then do the RDA using the stiffnesses,
return the values to this sheet and compare the results to the capacities.
If any are overstressed, I would again adjust the shear wall specification.
I would be very surprised if this took very many iterations at all. I'm sure
I haven't done this as often as you and I'm sure there are pitfalls, but I
really can't see how this is any more complicated than making an assumption
in the beginning which not only *may* be flawed but also *may* not achieve
the intended goal of enveloping the loads.

FWIW, the reason I first started looking at shear wall stiffnesses is that,
to my surprise, many combinations of shear walls and hold downs
(particularly non-Struct I panels and HD hold downs) won't meet 0.025H even
if they are 2:1.

Just my $0.25.

I can't believe I'm taking this side of the FDA/RDA argument. Sheesh!

Regards,

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E. (CA #2607)
San Juan Capistrano, CA