RE: Snow Load in CS areas

I think that it is important to get a letter from the Building Official stating the requirements. If he is unwilling to do that, then write to him to confirm your conversation with him and his agreement. Word it so that if he disagrees with your understanding, he must respond to you in writing.

Jim K.
-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Wilson [mailto:wilsonengineers(--nospam--at)yahoo.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 06, 2004 7:06 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Snow Load in CS areas

I am curious about how others are handling determination of ground snow loads in CS areas as defined by IBC and ASCE.  I just had a conversation with a local code official/inspector in the northeast Pennsylvania area about what criteria was required in his area.  He asked me if I was designing for 70 psf.  I responded that I was only checking an existing roof and that it had a live load capacity for about 40 psf.  He then said that should be fine and that an actual design snow loading hadn't ever been considered before.

Who is going to end up responsible for determining the loadings in these areas?  For now, it seems to come down to the structural engineer who has to stick his or her neck out and make a judgement call.

Then there is the conversation with the local architect who said he just uses 50 psf when he does design....

James Wilson, P.E.
wilsonengineers(--nospam--at)yahoo.com
Stroudsburg, PA

Do you Yahoo!?