Re: licensing "boards" (was: plan stamping website)

> From: "Huffman, Sharlie TRAN:EX" <Sharlie.Huffman(--nospam--at)gems9.gov.bc.ca>

> Could our US members clarify something for me please?  Do I understand
> correctly that your licensing boards use State government lawyers for their
> legal work?  Are your licencing bodies part of the State government?

> From: "Paul Feather" <pfeather(--nospam--at)SE-Solutions.net>

> Licensing is on a State by State basis and is administered (issued /
> controlled) by the individual State governments.  The licensing boards are a
> component of State government, and therefore they also use State government
> lawyers.
>
> I gather from your posting that in Canada licensing is controlled at the
> Ministerial level, or what we would refer to as the Federal level.  We do
> not have National licensing.

Actually, the Provincial licensing associations are created by an Act of
Provicial Parliaments/Legislatures as independent, self-regulating,
professional associations. In other words, each provincial government
gives the licensed engineers the ability to regulate and administer
their peers.

In reality, there is a string at the end of the "independence" because
the Act and/or regulations can be modified to suit the needs of the
government. Generally, the politicians stay out of our way.

In the case of a professional acting inappropriately (e.g. professional
incompetence), the case is handled at a legally binding tribunal of
their peers. Both the association and (usually) the professional are
represented by legal counsel. The professional can be fined and have
their license revoked temporarily/permanently.

Additionally, the professional is also open to legal action on a civil
basis (provincial court) from their "client".

If an unlicensed person misrepresents themselves as a professional, they
are dealt with in provincial court, usually with the Queen (Provincial
government) as the complainant, supported by the association's
witnesses.

> From: "Huffman, Sharlie TRAN:EX" <Sharlie.Huffman(--nospam--at)gems9.gov.bc.ca>

> That would certainly be significant for the Discipline process.  As it
> stands, ours is very expensive for our Association, which is funded only by
> member dues.

And the result is that the associations can be passive due to the cost
of proving a case where hundreds/thousands of hours of engineering time
may be required.

--
Paul Ransom, P. Eng.
Civil/Structural/Project/International