Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Re: Ontario licensing (was plan stamping website)

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
> From: Scott Maxwell <smaxwell(--nospam--at)>

> From what I understand, Ontario is the "fun" (i.e. difficult) province to
> get a license in.  It is my understanding (which could be wrong) that one
> of the requirements in Ontario is that you must be a resident of the
> province to get a license there.  I am hoping someone could
> clarify (i.e. correct me) the situation as it might desirable for me to
> obtain a P.Eng. license in Ontario in the near future.

Residency is not required.

Canadian experience is mandatory (e.g. proven competence with codes,
standards and industry practice). That experience can be achieved under
the "supervision" of a Licensed Ontario engineer. That is why you
require the collaboration of a licensed engineer for your temporary

Ontario will soon require all persons (not limited to engineers or
architects) who practice within the scope of the Ontario Building Code,
to write tests on their area of practice. This is in addition to the
P.Eng. license but will be administered by PEO for the engineers. The
test does not confirm your engineering ability but rather your knowledge
of application of the building code.

Many professionals are cross-licensed to several provinces. Quebec is
probably the most difficult due to the requirement for proficiency in
French language (common and technical). There will also be a Quebec
building code in the near future.

> From: "Ken McClure" <mcclureink(--nospam--at)>

> I'm not sure about the residency thing - they seemed more adamant of
> first hand knowledge of the Canadian Code.  I was hoping that NAFTA
> would cover this problem, but that will probably be round two.  In my
> home state, Missouri, a Canadian ARCHITECT can get a license through
> reciprocity just like he or she is a resident of the US.  I don't think
> it works the other way around though...

Reciprocity under FTA (it still applies) and NAFTA is required on a
state-province level. So, each state needs to have agreements with each
province. That's something like 650 agreements to have full coverage
between the two countries. I think that Texas and Ontario currently have
reciprocity agreements. And we probably didn't even contribute to any
presidential campaigns ....

What the Free Trade Agreements do allow, directly, is accessible VISA
conditions to work in the opposite country. This has nothing to do with
licensing. I recall being asked by the INS agent, after presenting my
university degree and provincial license (in the frames, off the wall),
to define "Moment of Inertia." At least he acknowledged it to be the
"best answer he had heard, today."

Paul Ransom, P. Eng.
Burlington, Ontario, Canada
<mailto:ad026(--nospam--at)> <>

******* ****** ******* ******** ******* ******* ******* ***
*   Read list FAQ at:
*   This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers 
*   Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To 
*   subscribe (no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to:
*   Questions to seaint-ad(--nospam--at) Remember, any email you 
*   send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted 
*   without your permission. Make sure you visit our web 
*   site at: 
******* ****** ****** ****** ******* ****** ****** ********