Re: OT: PDA Recommendations?

Gary:

I would suggest that you outline a little what you would hope to do with
the PDA.  Is it mainly for contact/calendar functions?  Do you want
wireless capability for email or browsing the web?  If so, do you want
that capability virtually anywhere (i.e. digital mobile phone service)
or just around the house (i.e. WiFi)?  Do you want to structural
calculations (i.e. spreadsheets) or write reports (i.e. word processing)?

Recommendations will heavily depend on what you want to potentially use
the PDA for it.  If you are looking for a laptop replacement, then in
reality you might be better off buying another laptop.  While PDAs (either
Palm or Pocket PC) can do many things that a laptop can do in a pinch, it
is definitely not the most desireable way to do it.  If it is a matter of
just a quick edit of a word document or a quick entry/calc in a
spreadsheet, then a PDA should be fine.  If you are gonna write a rather
long report (or book), then a PDA will be a REAL PAIN to work with.

Personally, I like my Handspring Treo 300.  It allows me to check email
from anywhere (that there is Sprint PCS service, which is most major parts
of the country with population density).  I can even browse the web with
it (although not all sites work well with it).  I have DocumentsToGo,
which allows me to do spreadsheets and word docs (and powerpoint docs) if
I need to.  It is also my cell phone.  I have a variety of other
applications for it that I have gotten/bought (such as free alarm clock
app, automatic cell phone minute tracking program, picture viewer, sketch
program, free program for shopping lists, and upgraded memo and task list
programs...oh, and few games).  I also have a program that allows me to
use it as a wireless modem for my PeeCee laptop with just the hotsync
cable...at speeds that are faster than dialup.

Now, I kind of would like to upgrade to the Treo 600, mainly because of
the memory card slot (and it is a little smaller).  The 600 also adds a
digital camera function, but I don't care to much about that.  The biggest
problem is that the 600 is still high priced.  The Treo 300 can usually be
gotten for a reasonable price (you can get it for $99 after rebates from
Sprint right now...with a two year contract...at least it the US).

I don't have much experience with Pocket PCs.  But, as I understand it,
they tend to be a little better if you want to word/excel files because I
believe they tend to have a little more horsepower under the hood.

HTH,

Scott
Adrian, MI