Re: Special inspection abuses, was (structural observation -history?)

Mike

I can see that, not being from our neck of the wood, you don't have clear picture of how things are done here.

First, the special inspection required by section 1701 of the UBC or 1704 of the IBC is a different animal from the Structural Observation that the SEOR provides per section 1702 of the UBC or 1709 of IBC. Therefore, it will never be substitute for the engineer visiting his/her own job site. It's in addition to that.

Second, Special inspectors are certified in their field by ICC or other agencies approved by the local jurisdiction. Many of them are quite knowledgeable about what they do. In fact they may know a lot more about actual construction practices than a design engineer does. They are required to be present continuously at the job site while a certain task like concrete rebar placement, or welding is being performed.

Third, In regard to the cost, we still haven't determined what is the best way to do this. It's still under consideration. However, the fact of the matter is whether they will be our own employees or hired consultants, at the end of the day, they will be accountable to us and will be supervised by us.

Ben Yousefi, SE
Santa Monica, CA

>>> hemstad.ml(--nospam--at)tkda.com 05/07/04 07:15AM >>>

Ben,
With all due respect, are you sure that's a good idea?  I've seen state
DOT inspectors who got on county bridge jobs by "bidding" out their
services with artificially lowered overhead rates.  We in the private
sector felt our tax dollars were particularly well spent costing us work
inspecting bridges we had designed.

>From an economic point of view, the workload for these people will be
pretty unsteady. If all they're hired for is inspections, their
utilization will be low enough that the private sector would never
justify it.  How can you?  That's why governmwent agencies hire
consultants.  Even with our astonomical 15 percent profit margins, we
cost about the same when we're working for you, and when we're not we
don't cost you anything.

Perhaps more germaine to this conversation, will they be engineers?  If
not, I don't think they're qualified to do some of the work.  If they
are engineers, they still aren't as qualified as the person who designed
(and sealed) the building.  That design engineer will still be held
responsible if anything goes wrong.  Now you've made it effectively
impossible for him or her to inspect it.  I don't even want to start on
the stories of some of the municipal inspectors I've seen.  These guys
don't grow on trees.  They're usually hired from contractors and brought
up through the residential flatwork inspection arena.  Now suddenly
you're going to use these guys to replace the design engineer.

Good luck. I'm glad I'm not paying taxes in your area.

Mike Hemstad, P.E., S.E.
St. Paul, Minnesota