Re: eave blocking in high wind and seismic zones

"Another (uglier) option is to cut V-shaped notches in the tops of the blocks.   1/8-inch mesh over such holes or notches would do much better than window screen, which will clog up with paint."

Just make sure your mesh size is a little smaller than the smallest species of hornet that might wish to nest in your attic.  I think that I have something between window screen and 1/8" mesh, which keeps the legions of hornets around my house out out but is paintable with sufficient care.

Paul Crocker, PE, SE