From: Jason W. Kilgore [mailto:jkilgore(--nospam--at)leok.com]
Sent: Friday, May 07, 2004 1:07 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: concrete pier / rock excavation

Jesús,

The general plan now is to saw-cut and excavate one lift, then wrap the
stone column and the unreinforced concrete pier with carbon-fiber and epoxy.
Saw-cut and excavate a second lift, then wrap that portion.
==========
As long as the wrapping can provide enough confining pressure, sounds good.

And so forth.
We might cut the rock in an octagonal shape instead of a square shape to
increase the confining pressure.
===========

We're still working on the specifics, and the geotech is being kept in the
loop.

Bolted bars: I assume you would excavate some distance first.  Then drill
and install the first bolt, with bearing plates, and pre-tension.  Drill the
next hole some distance away, say 12", and repeat.  Then do the same thing
in the other direction.  Then drop down to the next level and repeat again.
Finally, excavate another level of rock and repeat again.  Finally, cover
the whole thing with a concrete face.
======================

That's correct. No need to tension the bolts though, just grout them or
"resin them" in place.

Micro-piles: how would this work - core-drill a series of piles around the
perimeter and fasten the piles to the existing footing?  Drilling THROUGH
the footing is impractical because of space - the column is 32" wide, the
footing is 48" wide.
======================
You can either drill them at a batter through the footing (it can be done at
a batter to about 6 inches of the face of the column). The batter is toward
the center of the column so they tend to intersect with depth (although you
position them so this won't happen). You can also install them outside and
brace them with L shapes or similar. Connection to the footing would be
simple.

The building is not in use during construction, and no construction activity
will be happening in the bays above this column during excavation.

As to the owner/contractor:  The owner wants to simply excavate the rock and
leave the free-standing rock column as-in (no reinforcing).  Composite fiber
reinforcing is expensive, and a bulky reinforced concrete wrap might
eliminate several parking spaces.
=====================
Whatever wrap is used it should be able to provide not only confinement, but
also some level of tensile capacity along the rock column that can take
bending stresses. A sufficient concrete or steel fram wrap should take no
more than 6 to 8 inches on each side...

 The contractor is a direct employee of
the owner, and thinks that anything more than 2x4 walls and 2x10 joists is
"over-engineered".

The corporation that was formed to finance the construction will be
dissolved within a year of final construction, so the only one left to sue
will be the design team.  Believe me, I'm being *VERY* careful on this one.

---
Jason Kilgore
Leigh & O'Kane, LLC
Kansas City, Missouri

This e-mail including attached files is confidential.  Its transmission is
solely as an accommodation for the benefit of the recipient.  The recipient
bears the responsibility for checking its accuracy against corresponding
originally signed documents provided by Schnabel Engineering.  If you
received this e-mail in error, its use is prohibited.  Please destroy it and
immediately notify postmaster(--nospam--at)schnabel-eng.com