Re: FW: Notice to Candidates of the SE Exam

And that is why to some degree the 2000 IBC is based upon "more" than the
1997 NEHRP Provisions, potentially.  As Gail points out (indirectly), the
2000 IBC references ACI 318-99, which might have some things that are
different than the concrete provisions in teh 1997 NEHRP and resulted in
changes in the 2000 NEHRP that reflect somethings that are in ACI 318-99
but not the 1997 NEHRP.

I think the key thing to remember is that what the IBC really makes use of
from the NEHRP Provisions is the loading/analysis provisions (i.e. what is
contained in Chapter 16 of the IBC).  Most of the seismic related
detailing requirements for the various materials come into the IBC by way
of the material specific referenced/adopted codes/specs.  It is then those
material specific referenced/adopted codes/specs that "coordinate" with
the material related sections of the NEHRP.  The exception I would think
is the stick-framed wood seismic related material, as that information is
still largely put directly in the IBC code.  And, FWIW, this is also kind
of how things are being done for Chapter 16 as ASCE 7 now is doing the
seismic provision in it, with the intent that the IBC will just reference
ASCE 7 (as what was largely done with the 2003 IBC).

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI