From: Roger Turk [mailto:73527.1356(--nospam--at)compuserve.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 12, 2004 12:49
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Shearwall Blocking Requirements for

A number of years ago at an APA seminar, they proposed a metal plate on
top of plywood in lieu blocking below the plywood.  Its use included
where an exposed ceiling made it undesirable to have blocking below the
ceiling.
When they were asked about point penetration being the controlling
criteria in nail capacity, they looked at each other as if to say "why
didn't someone think of that?"

I believe that APA published a Technical Note or Technical Report that
was included in the nice 3-ring binder that was included with the
seminar.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Keith De Lapp wrote:

. > The blocking in and of itself is only backing for the fastener to
obtain . > the required penetration.  If you could fasten the strap to
the sheathing . > without the requirement of fastener penetration, such
as glue or welding a . > metal strap on metal sheathing, the blocking
would not be required.

. > Keith De Lapp, P.E.
. > KDL ENGINEERING