RE: Notice to Candidates of the SE Exam

Bill;

For all intents, an exam based on the IBC code _IS_ based upon ASCE 7,
NDS, ACI 318, AISC ASD/LRFD spec, AISC Seismic spec, MSJC (ACI 530...the
masonry code), etc.  The IBC code LARGELY references documents rather than
reprint the provisionss (as the UBC did).

It is necessary to remember though that not ALL material (or load) related
material that have traditionally be part of model building codes (UBC,
BOCA, SBC, IBC) are in the various "material" standards/codes.  Some
material is DIRECTLY in the model building code.  A historic example are
the seismic loading provisions (Chap 16 in the IBC and UBC).  Those have
been directly in the various codes, including the 2000 IBC.  The IBC is
moving away from having the seismic load provisions directly in it as such
provisions are now in ASCE 7 and the intent is to just reference ASCE 7.
Another traditional area that has been directly in the code is wood
(plywood/OSB) diaphram and shearwall nail schedules/capacities, etc.  I am
not sure if that is slowly being moved into the NDS or not.  And then
beyond is the foundation chapter...there is no "material" standard/code to
reference for that chapter.

Now, after all that, it is still true that there are "tweaks" to the
"material" standards in the IBC, which means that you cannot necessarily
just use ACI 318 for concrete design and never look at the IBC (assuming
the IBC is the "law of the land" for the project location).  But, the
intent is to minimize the "tweaks" as much as possible (which in theory is
what the NFPA 5000 did).  And as things move in that direction, that is
why having two model building codes (IBC and NFPA 5000) is not too big a
deal structurally (both are HIGHLY dependent on the material standards
such as ACI 318, MSJC, AISC spec, NDS, ASCE 7, etc).

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI