Re: building codes

A couple of things to add to Charley's post...

Like ASCE 7...ACI 318, the MSJC (ACI 530), AISC ASD/LRFD spec, AISC
Seismic Spec, the NDS, and many other documents adopted into the IBC (and
the UBC...kind of) by refernece are all concensus standards.  The reality
is that if they are NOT concensus standards, then they will more than
likely NOT be adopted as part of the code (precisely why the NEHRP
Provisions don't get directly adopted...they are not a concensus
standard...first they are don't developed in a formal concensus
process...and second they are not written in mandatory language).

FWIW, the NEHRP Provisions _ARE_ used by the federal goverment as a
minimum level of seismic requirements.  This was done by way of executive
order.  As most "modern" codes (i.e. IBC) meet this minimum standard now
(as they are in essence based upon the NEHRP), the IBC can typically be
used instead.

Also, AISC is part trade organization, part technical organization as are
some of the others.  Charley is correct in that ACI is a "pure" (if any is
truly pure) techinical organization.

And to fill in, ICC is made from the "smushing" together of ICBO (those
that produced the UBC which was largely used out West), BOCA (those that
produced the BOCA model building code which was largely used in the
Midwest and the upper East coast), and SBBCI (those that produced the SBC
that was largely used in the South).

HTH,

Scott
Adrian, MI