Hardwood Decking

Title: Hardwood Decking

This is a recurring question to our helpdesk. The problem goes well beyond quality standards. Since there are no quality standards, the product cannot be tied to a grade per ALSC provisions. Since products cannot be tied to a grade, assigning design values is impossible per existing US standards.

The only solution we can suggest is that designers review the "unadjusted average ultimate mechanical properties" published in Chapter 4 of the USDA Forest Products Lab Wood Handbook: http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/FPLGTR/fplgtr113/fplgtr113.htm

You'll have to use your own judgement on applying these values in the design process.

Here's what one building department in Virginia has done related to this subject:

http://www.fairfax.va.us/dpwes/publications/LTI/03-09.htm

HTH

Buddy

John "Buddy" Showalter, P.E.
Director, Technical Media
AF&PA/American Wood Council
1111 19th Street, NW, Suite 800
Washington, DC 20036
P: 202-463-2769
F: 202-463-2791
http://www.awc.org

The guidance provided herein is not a formal interpretation of any AF&PA standard.  Interpretations of AF&PA standards are only available through a formal process outlined in AF&PA's standards development procedures.