Allowable shear capacity of nails

Title: Allowable shear capacity of nails

There is a new table in Appendix I of the 2001 NDS(r) that lists Fyb values for fasteners, including common nails. Here's the pertinent info:

Common, box, or sinker nail, spike, lag screw, wood
screw (low to medium carbon steel)

0.099" ≤ D ≤ 0.142" 100,000psi
0.142" < D ≤ 0.177" 90,000psi
0.177" < D ≤ 0.236" 80,000psi
0.236" < D ≤ 0.273" 70,000psi
0.273" < D ≤ 0.344" 60,000psi
0.344" < D ≤ 0.375" 45,000psi

HTH

Buddy

John "Buddy" Showalter, P.E.
Director, Technical Media
AF&PA/American Wood Council
1111 19th Street, NW, Suite 800
Washington, DC 20036
P: 202-463-2769
F: 202-463-2791
http://www.awc.org

The guidance provided herein is not a formal interpretation of any AF&PA standard.  Interpretations of AF&PA standards are only available through a formal process outlined in AF&PA's standards development procedures.