RE: building codes

Just to add to Charlie's response...

> >Where do the AISC, ACI codes and NEHRP & ASCE 7 come into play?
>
> AISC, ACI, and ASCE 7 are some of the reference documents that form the
> basis for the IBC. They are incorporated in the IBC by reference.

Such reference documents are also incorporated in the UBC code as well.
Some are done by reference with modifications (such as the NDS and AISC's
specs).  Others have the provisions directly reprinted in the UBC with
some modifications (such as ACI 318).  And some can be used as
alternatives to what in in the UBC (such as ASCE 7-93 or 7-95 [can never
remember] can be used for wind/snow loads rather than the provisions
directly in the UBC).

HTH,

Scott
Adrian, MI