metal stud blocking

Title: Message
If you are designing a metal stud shear wall that requires blocking, if you instead used a flat strap of equal gauge to the blocking you were going to use, is that not accomplishing the exact same thing? I would think that whatever the table/chart you are using says for blocking and screw attachment you could do the exact same thing with a flat strap. I guess you would want to make sure it was wide enough to accomodate screws at both edges without shear of the strap becoming an issue.

Roger- I did not understand your comment about why the metal strap at plywood edges with wood blocking is not such a good idea. Could you expound on that a little??

Andrew kester, PE

  Longwood, FL  32750