From: "Andrew Kester" <akester(--nospam--at)bbma.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Sent: Thursday, May 13, 2004 4:27 PM
Subject: metal stud blocking

If you are designing a metal stud shear wall that requires blocking, if you
instead used a flat strap of equal gauge to the blocking you were going to
use, is that not accomplishing the exact same thing? I would think that
whatever the table/chart you are using says for blocking and screw
attachment you could do the exact same thing with a flat strap. I guess you
would want to make sure it was wide enough to accomodate screws at both
edges without shear of the strap becoming an issue.

Roger- I did not understand your comment about why the metal strap at
plywood edges with wood blocking is not such a good idea. Could you expound
on that a little??

Andrew kester, PE

  Longwood, FL  32750