Site classifications in Colorado

Are there any Colorado SEA members checking the list today?  My company is designing a project for the Stapleton area, near Denver Colorado.  We contacted the Denver County building official and were informed that we are to use Site Class B for seismic design (we’re using the 2003 IBC).  He said that for the 2000 IBC, Site Class A was the requirement, but that the Colorado SEA believed that A was not prudent and that Site Class B should be used.  I am wondering if anybody knows if this was a recommendation made by the Colorado SEA for the ENTIRE or if the Colorado SEA looked at each county individually.

Whether I check Site Class A or B for Denver, I am getting Seismic Design Category A.  So I guess I am wondering why Denver County even bothered to change from Site Class A to B?

Bruce D. Holcomb, PE

Butler, Rosenbury & Partners

300 S. Jefferson, Suite 505

Springfield, MO 65806

ph. 417-865-6100

fax 417-865-6102

www.brpae.com

Architecture, Engineering, Interior Design, Planning & Development

Your Vision.  Our Focus.