Re: Relative Stiffness of Wood Shearwalls

"I've always believed that it is best to calculate a uniform drift if you
design plywood shearwalls according to stiffness rather than simply to take the diaphragm shear and divide it uniformly into the total length of wall on hand."

My understanding is that the implications of the research behind the new code provisions in the '03 IBC 2305.3.3 for aspect ratios between 2:1 and 3.5:1 is that assumed uniform plf shear distributions for walls of different lengths isn't too bad when used for reasonable aspect ratios.  It isn't exactly right, but it seems to work out well enough.  The meaning of the word "best" in your statement is tough to quantity, but it looks like the traditional assumptions work well for many cases.  If you start mixing and matching light-framed walls and proprietary systems along the same line, or perhaps mixing light-framed walls with different plywood thicknesses and nail spacings along the same line (not sure why you would do the latter if the plf can be taken to be the same), then the outcome might be different.  As with most things, the more "cook-book" the method you want to use the more you have to limit the method's use to fairly typical cases, and not to very unique cases.

Paul Crocker, PE, SE