RE: Seismic Piping Question

I know it's not an exciting question, but could anyone help me out with this
one?

I have a question in regards to the seismic design of a piping system in IBC
2000/ ASCE 7-98.

Basically, how do I determine the deformabilty of a piping system to know
whether or not it's a high deformability, limited deformability, or low
deformability piping system?  If I look at ASCE 7, it gives definitions for
these terms, but while the limit deformation may be within yield strength
parameters, the ultimate deformation is deformation of a pipe in the plastic
range.  How do I determine this?  And how is this load applied? In bending?
In axial load?  As an inner pressure?

Any help or direction you could give me would be most appreciated

Brian S. Bossley, EIT
Ventura Engineering
7610 Olentangy River Rd.
Columbus, OH 43235