RE: Seismic Piping Question

Brian:

I don't the know the answer to the question, but I can provide a
suggestion that may help.  You might want to take a look the 1997 NEHRP
Provisions.  The seismic provisions in ASCE 7-98 are based upon the 1997
NEHRP Provisions.  While the provisions in ASCE 7-98 (i.e. Table 9.6.3.2)
are likely to be very similar (if not identical) to what is in the 1997
NEHRP provisions, it is certainly possible that the 1997 NEHRP commentary
might provide some guidance on how to differentiate between high
deformability, limited deformability, and low deformability piping
elements.  I would look it up myself, but my copy of the 1997 NEHRP
Provisions is at home still packed in a box.

HTH,

Scott
Adrian, MI