Re: building codes - Massachusetts

Jim:

You are correct.  Massachusetts (BASE in particular) has been a "leader"
in dealing with code mandated "special inspections".  Such provisions have
been in the Massachussetts building code for quite a while to my
knowledge.

Similar provisions have existing in the UBC code for specific things for
while I believe.  And similar provisions have made their way from the UBC
(and BOCA and SBC) into the IBC code.

I would, however, caution you to not refer to what you may personally do
on a site visit as an "inspection"...your E&O insurance company have a few
choice words for you if you refer what you as EOR do on the site as an
"inspection".  Generally, what the EOR does is "observation".  As I
understand it, there is a much high level of "care" or review when an
inspection is done.  With that in mind, your first comment was more on
point...you as the EOR may develop the inspection program (that is
executed by special inspectors who in theory will/may be on site 100% of
the time), review the reports and "sign off" on them.

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI

On Mon, 17 May 2004, Jim Wilson wrote:

> Massachusetts seems to have implemented such a program.
>
> http://www.b-ase.org/Publications.html
>
> I have been contacted by local building inspectors on things I have designed to develop inspection programs, report on the progress of the project and prepare a final sign-off report.
>
> It gets a little scary working from several states away and not being there to inspect the work myself.  They were small enough projects that it wasn't too significant, but I will do things differently in the future to protect my interests.
>
> James Wilson, P.E.
> wilsonengineers(--nospam--at)yahoo.com
> Stroudsburg, PA
>
> Paul Crocker <pcrocker(--nospam--at)reidmidd.com> wrote:
> "Until and unless states allow SEORs "police power" for their own projects, requiring construction observation by statute and allowing the SEOR to blow the whistle if something is not satisfactory, this is going to continue to be the case."
>
> Many of the situations I have seen where a clearly innocent party ends up paying boil down to legal costs and insurance. The plaitiff's lawyer estimates what the claim will cost to defend against, then offers to settle for slightly less if they don't feel like they have a great case. If the deal looks good enough to the insurer, they may even offer to waive the deductable if the engineer agrees to the deal. It isn't about guilt or innocence at that point, it's just a cost/benefit analysis on the insurer's behalf. Do they want to spend $50K to get to a judgement of innocence, with some small chance of a very large judgement, or just pay $40K up front? If you are running an insurance carrier as a business, the decision may not be hard. In many cases, the insurance contract puts the insurer in a position to demand that the engineer accept the settlement, or the insurer will not cover any potential judgement in court above and beyond what they wanted to settle for. That clause!
  i!