From: IRV FRUCHTMAN [mailto:ifaeng(--nospam--at)yahoo.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 29, 2004 5:36 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Concrete Chutzpa

Fellow Engineers:
Here is my latest example of chutzpa, but you have to
read to the last paragraph:

The owner of a small dwelling hired me assess a
cracked and settled 4 ft section of foundation (3
block stem wall and 8"x16" plain concrete footing) and recommend a fix. The
cause was a close-by rainwater downspout that washed out the soil beneath
the footing. My report recommended replacing the damaged section of footing
& block and replace with new.

The owner then hired a local concrete guy who did his
thing - he poured a yard of concrete in front of the
inside face of the footing to "encapsulate and
underpin" it. Of course his was the least expensive
quote.

A potential buyer of this house was given my report
(because of disclosure rules in NJ)and asked the owner
that I evaluate what the concrete guy did. The owner
then told me to write a letter stating this fix is OK,
or else the sale would be held up! He also blurted
that the concrete guy's fix was better than mine.

Irv