Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

RE: plan stamping website

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
BC provides non-resident licenses.  We do have a two-tiered license for
structural though.  The Struct. Eng. Designation is required by some
municipalities for building design.  APEG(BC) seem to be encouraging
municipalites to require this. 

One of the possible ways to meet the requirements for getting a Struct.Eng.
is to be "licensed through examinations as a Structural Engineer (SE) in
California or Washington States" so it looks like we are probably US
Engineer friendly here in BC.

Sharlie Huffman, P.Eng.

Ministry of Transportation
Bridge Seismic Engineer
4B - 940 Blanshard
Victoria, BC V8W 3E6
(B) 250-356-0761
(F) 250-387-7735

-----Original Message-----
From: Gary Hodgson & Associates [mailto:ghodgson(--nospam--at)] 
Sent: Thursday, May 06, 2004 5:13 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)
Subject: RE: plan stamping website

Each of the states is different.  Some are welcoming
and others treat you as if you have SARS.

On 5 May 2004 at 16:09, Ken McClure wrote:

> Scott,
> I'm not sure about the residency thing - they seemed more adamant of 
> first hand knowledge of the Canadian Code.  I was hoping that NAFTA 
> would cover this problem, but that will probably be round two.  In my 
> home state, Missouri, a Canadian ARCHITECT can get a license through 
> reciprocity just like he or she is a resident of the US.  I don't 
> think it works the other way around though...
> Ken J. McClure, P.E.
> Creative Ink Architects
> Springfield, MO
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Scott Maxwell [mailto:smaxwell(--nospam--at)]
> Sent: Wednesday, May 05, 2004 2:58 PM
> To: seaint(--nospam--at)
> Subject: RE: plan stamping website
> Ken:
> >From what I understand, Ontario is the "fun" (i.e. difficult) 
> >province
> to get a license in.  It is my understanding (which could be wrong) 
> that one of the requirements in Ontario is that you must be a resident 
> of the province to get a license there.  I am hoping someone could 
> clarify (i.e. correct me) the situation as it might desirable for me 
> to obtain a P.Eng. license in Ontario in the near future.
> Regards,
> Scott
> Adrian, MI (rather close to Ontario)
> On Wed, 5 May 2004, Ken McClure wrote:
> > Paul,
> >
> > Scott is correct, Canada does not have national licensing.  I just 
> > received a temporary license in Ontario - it's temporary AND job 
> > specific.  The project that I am currently involved in requires that 
> > I
> > have a collaborator that is licensed in Ontario.  A full license is 
> > possible but you will need to PROVE proficiecy with the Canadian 
> > Codes. And yes, the license was not issued by the Province, but 
> > rather
> > the PEO (Professional Engineers Ontario) in my case.
> >
> > Ken J. McClure, P.E.
> > Creative Ink Architects
> > Springfield, MO

******* ****** ******* ******** ******* ******* ******* ***
*   Read list FAQ at:
*   This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers 
*   Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To 
*   subscribe (no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to:
*   Questions to seaint-ad(--nospam--at) Remember, any email you 
*   send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted 
*   without your permission. Make sure you visit our web 
*   site at: 
******* ****** ****** ****** ******* ****** ****** ********