Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Re: Struct Eng Designation

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
The Struct Eng designation is not yet required by Municipalities in BC, although City of Vancouver recently requested APEGBC support for immediate implementation of the designation for "special" structures.    The Board of Directors of the Division of Structural Engineers of BC voted against the request on the basis that the designation is not intended to be used until at least 2007, and that the City has other quality assurance procedures available until that time.
The designation is not deemed to be activated until January 1, 2007.  Subject to the number of qualified persons, that date may change.  On implementation day, all municipalities have been urged to be sure of the conditions for correctly invoking a Struct Eng qualified person, before they run amok with the designation.
FWIW the Struct Eng designation can be gained by passing the NCEES Structures 3 exam, having SE designation from California (or state with equivalent requirements), or passing the IStructE Part 3 exam, or by attending a comprehensive peer review interview of three (3) structures designed by the applicant, and by passing a BC specific exam on local codes and seismic design questions.  All this after being subject to a preliminary interview to determine if the applicant has the experience, is a nice guy etc.  We now have 17 people designated as Struct Eng (no not me yet ... one day maybe :^))

Thor A. Tandy P.Eng
Vice Chair
Board of Directors
Division of Structural Engineers of BC
Victoria BC
email: vicpeng(--nospam--at)
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, May 17, 2004 4:16 PM
Subject: RE: plan stamping website

BC provides non-resident licenses.  We do have a two-tiered license for
structural though.  The Struct. Eng. Designation is required by some
municipalities for building design.  APEG(BC) seem to be encouraging
municipalites to require this.

One of the possible ways to meet the requirements for getting a Struct.Eng.
is to be "licensed through examinations as a Structural Engineer (SE) in
California or Washington States" so it looks like we are probably US
Engineer friendly here in BC.

Sharlie Huffman, P.Eng.

Ministry of Transportation
Bridge Seismic Engineer
4B - 940 Blanshard
Victoria, BC V8W 3E6
(B) 250-356-0761
(F) 250-387-7735

-----Original Message-----
From: Gary Hodgson & Associates [mailto:ghodgson(--nospam--at)]
Sent: Thursday, May 06, 2004 5:13 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)
Subject: RE: plan stamping website

Each of the states is different.  Some are welcoming
and others treat you as if you have SARS.

On 5 May 2004 at 16:09, Ken McClure wrote:

> Scott,
> I'm not sure about the residency thing - they seemed more adamant of
> first hand knowledge of the Canadian Code.  I was hoping that NAFTA
> would cover this problem, but that will probably be round two.  In my
> home state, Missouri, a Canadian ARCHITECT can get a license through
> reciprocity just like he or she is a resident of the US.  I don't
> think it works the other way around though...
> Ken J. McClure, P.E.
> Creative Ink Architects
> Springfield, MO
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Scott Maxwell [mailto:smaxwell(--nospam--at)]
> Sent: Wednesday, May 05, 2004 2:58 PM
> To: seaint(--nospam--at)
> Subject: RE: plan stamping website
> Ken:
> >From what I understand, Ontario is the "fun" (i.e. difficult) province to get a license in.  It is my understanding (which could be wrong) that one of the requirements in Ontario is that you must be a resident of the province to get a license there.  I am hoping someone could clarify (i.e. correct me) the situation as it might desirable for me to obtain a P.Eng. license in Ontario in the near future.
> Regards,
> Scott
> Adrian, MI (rather close to Ontario)
> On Wed, 5 May 2004, Ken McClure wrote:
> > Paul,
> >
> > Scott is correct, Canada does not have national licensing.  I just
> > received a temporary license in Ontario - it's temporary AND job
> > specific.  The project that I am currently involved in requires that
> > I
> > have a collaborator that is licensed in Ontario.  A full license is
> > possible but you will need to PROVE proficiecy with the Canadian
> > Codes. And yes, the license was not issued by the Province, but
> > rather
> > the PEO (Professional Engineers Ontario) in my case.
> >
> > Ken J. McClure, P.E.
> > Creative Ink Architects
> > Springfield, MO

******* ****** ******* ******** ******* ******* ******* ***
*   Read list FAQ at:
*   This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers
*   Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To
*   subscribe (no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to:
*   Questions to seaint-ad(--nospam--at) Remember, any email you
*   send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted
*   without your permission. Make sure you visit our web
*   site at:
******* ****** ****** ****** ******* ****** ****** ********