Education of Structural Designers (Draftsman)

The structural department of our division of a large A/E firm has 8
engineers.  We recently lost one of our designers and are down to two
from three.  The architects in charge will not allow us to hire another
structural designer unless they have a four year college degree.

What is the consensus on educational requirements for structural
designers?

My experience has been that most designers have a technical school
degree or something similar and do just fine with that.  Any supporting
information or experiences will help us make our case to the
higher-ups.

Thanks in advance.

Matt Steiner, P.E.
Structural Engineering Department