Re: Education of Structural Designers (Draftsman)

Matt -

It seems that requiring a drafter to have a 4-year engineering
or architecture degree isn't valuable.  For example, our program
in CEE doesn't teach drafting as a primary focus.  As a result,
the drafting expertise will be lower and startup time will be longer.
If the goal is to hire as a draftsman someone who will eventually
transition into another (eng/arch) position, I would question that
goal, as well.  As much as I am a believer in education by other
people's mistakes/experience, I'm not sure that an engineer or
architect would be well-served as a drafter

Now, if the architects want someone with a four-year CADD
degree, that I might be able to understand.  There's a lot more
to CADD than just electronic replacement of Maylines and Rotring
pens.  Are your "structural designers" troubleshooting connection
details?  Prototyping architectural layouts?

Have they let on *why* they want a university degree for a
drafter?  What duties are assigned to your drafters?

Charley