ASCE 7 Wind Speed Up factor

I am trying to determine the Topographic Factor (Kzt) for a project in California that is under the jurisdiction of the Unified Facilities Criteria .

Where is "z" measured from for ASCE 7-98  Figure 6-2. I take the "Height above local ground level, in feet" to be height of the structure from the bottom of the structure at its location on the hill or escarpment ( not considering the height of the hill.)

Ken Paquette P.E.

Melbourne Florida 32931