Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]


[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
Title: Message
At my old A & E company the terms used for draftsmen (we use CAD Tech at my new office, which I prefer) were often confusing. That was in part because like someone else said, architects out of school call themselves architectural designers. I have heard to use the term "Architect" implies AIA certification and that is why they did not use that term (illegal), they had to throw in "designer". They do not have the same EI type designation that we have.
Anyway, if you are looking for a draftmen, I have found CAD Techs with a 2 year degree to be fine, and without that the experience is what matters. I don't know if our best CAD Techs have degrees but it does not matter. They know Autocad and they know how a building is put together, that is what is important. If someone with 15 years of experience sent me their resume versus 2 year degree and no experience guess who I am going with?
If the architects in your office want to hire a young architect to help both departments in CAD and also groom them to become an architect, then you need an architectural degree. I guess talk amongst yourselves and find out what you really want and need.
Side note, I hate the term "designer" anyway, because in today's society it goes thrown around a lot. It could be the guy at home depot that helps me pick out cabinets or a licensed interior designer. Everyone now is a designer of some type, could be of a porno page for all I know.
My 2 pesos...
Andrew Kester, PE
Longwood, FL