From: "Paul Feather" <pfeather(--nospam--at)SE-Solutions.net>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Sent: Wednesday, May 19, 2004 10:36 AM
Subject: Re: designers

MessageAndrew wrote:

"Side note, I hate the term "designer" anyway, because in today's society it
goes thrown around a lot. It could be the guy at home depot that helps me
pick out cabinets or a licensed interior designer. Everyone now is a
designer of some type, could be of a porno page for all I know."

Andrew,

Thanks for a little levity on a Wednesday morning.  We have the same issues,
everyone appends the label "designer" to their title, often as a means of
skirting registration laws.   We get Architectural Designers advertising
what are essentially architectural services but they can not claim to be an
Architect.  In most cases these "designers" are actually demeaning the
profession.

But the one I really dis-like is when "Engineer" is used and abused.
Unfortunately the title Engineer is not protected, only Registered Engineer
or Professional Engineer is protected.  I can't tell you how many job sites
have a PE (Project Engineer) whose knowledge of engineering ranks right up
there with the bathroom attendant.  But it sure sounds impressive to an
uneducated public.  You can pretty much call yourself an Engineer in
virtually anything.

Paul Feather PE, SE
pfeather(--nospam--at)SE-Solutions.net
www.SE-Solutions.net