Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Re: designers

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
Texas does not allow anyone to use Engineer in their title (except graduate
engineer for an EIT) or offer any kind of engineering explicit or implied
(save some rights by Architects) nor can the word Architect be used by
someone not licensed i.e. an engineer can do what would commonly be referred
to as architecture but he can't call it architecture.

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Paul Feather" <pfeather(--nospam--at)>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)>
Sent: Wednesday, May 19, 2004 10:36 AM
Subject: Re: designers

MessageAndrew wrote:

"Side note, I hate the term "designer" anyway, because in today's society it
goes thrown around a lot. It could be the guy at home depot that helps me
pick out cabinets or a licensed interior designer. Everyone now is a
designer of some type, could be of a porno page for all I know."


Thanks for a little levity on a Wednesday morning.  We have the same issues,
everyone appends the label "designer" to their title, often as a means of
skirting registration laws.   We get Architectural Designers advertising
what are essentially architectural services but they can not claim to be an
Architect.  In most cases these "designers" are actually demeaning the

But the one I really dis-like is when "Engineer" is used and abused.
Unfortunately the title Engineer is not protected, only Registered Engineer
or Professional Engineer is protected.  I can't tell you how many job sites
have a PE (Project Engineer) whose knowledge of engineering ranks right up
there with the bathroom attendant.  But it sure sounds impressive to an
uneducated public.  You can pretty much call yourself an Engineer in
virtually anything.

Paul Feather PE, SE
  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Andrew Kester
  To: seaint(--nospam--at)
  Sent: Wednesday, May 19, 2004 6:10 AM
  Subject: designers

  At my old A & E company the terms used for draftsmen (we use CAD Tech at
my new office, which I prefer) were often confusing. That was in part
because like someone else said, architects out of school call themselves
architectural designers. I have heard to use the term "Architect" implies
AIA certification and that is why they did not use that term (illegal), they
had to throw in "designer". They do not have the same EI type designation
that we have.

  Anyway, if you are looking for a draftmen, I have found CAD Techs with a 2
year degree to be fine, and without that the experience is what matters. I
don't know if our best CAD Techs have degrees but it does not matter. They
know Autocad and they know how a building is put together, that is what is
important. If someone with 15 years of experience sent me their resume
versus 2 year degree and no experience guess who I am going with?

  If the architects in your office want to hire a young architect to help
both departments in CAD and also groom them to become an architect, then you
need an architectural degree. I guess talk amongst yourselves and find out
what you really want and need.

  My 2 pesos...

  Andrew Kester, PE
  Longwood, FL

******* ****** ******* ******** ******* ******* ******* ***
*   Read list FAQ at:
*   This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers 
*   Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To 
*   subscribe (no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to:
*   Questions to seaint-ad(--nospam--at) Remember, any email you 
*   send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted 
*   without your permission. Make sure you visit our web 
*   site at: 
******* ****** ****** ****** ******* ****** ****** ********