RE: designers

Bill:

You raise a point that has gone through my mind at various time.  I am a
licensed Structrual Engineer in Illinois and strictly speaking can refer
to myself as a Structural Engineer here in Michigan where I am a licensed
Professional Engineer (Michigan only restricts the use of the term
"Professional Engineer").  But what happen if I were out in California on
vacation and stopped by to have lunch with you and refered to myself as a
Structural Engineer?  Would I be in violation of California's SE Title
Act?  I would think not...I don't live in CA, don't have an address in
California and don't practice in CA.  Now, what happens if I am in
California on business...how does that change things?  Or even better yet,
what if I want to practice (i.e. design projects) in CA, but still live,
work, and have my business address in MI?

It should be noted (for others) that CA does limit some uses of the word
"Engineer" (i.e. "Structural Engineer", I believe "Geotechnical Engineer",
and "Professional Engineer"), but others such as "Staff Engineer" are not
regulated.

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI