Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

RE: designers

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]

> Scott -
> First of all, you would be buying lunch. That's a given :o).

Of course...McDonalds work for you?!?

> Second, knowing you, you would only be referring to yourself as a structural
> engineer to piss me off :o).

But of course!!! You know me to well!! <grin>

> Otherwise, all the other scenarios are apparently valid. If your business
> card had your home office in Michigan and you had the title "Structural
> Engineer", based on my experience, there's nothing wrong with it here in CA.
> Now, you know not to take my word for this and to contact BORPELS first.
> But, that's the impression I'm under based on the experience I had which
> included a real case and actual written correspondence to BORPELS.

That was my impression as well, but being paranoid I would likely confirm
that with BORPELS.

> \cynicism on
> Further, here in CA, there's really no need to present yourself as a
> structural engineer because, as you probably already know, being a
> structural engineer here in CA only allows you to do a few more projects
> than a licensed civil engineer can do. The only exceptions are the
> structural systems for schools and hospitals. I believe (could be wrong,
> it's happened before) that also the city of Los Angeles has restricted the
> design of structural systems for buildings over 160 feet to licensed
> structural engineers. But, everything else is fair game. There's really no
> reason to take the SE exam.

To my knowledge, you are correct about the City of LA...and I believe that
there are a couple other CA juridications that have similar ordinances for
buildings over a certain height (which it rather interesting to I
understand it [not a high-rise expert by any means], past a certain height
wind will MUCH more govern the design of a high-rise building as opposed
to seismic...but I could be wrong).

> So, let the flood gates open, ladies and gentlemen. Submit your application
> for P.E., get a license via comity (btw, it only takes 2 years of experience
> after graduation to be able to sit for the P. E. exam) and you too can
> design buildings to resist earthquakes in an area of the country where your
> project is _guaranteed_ to be load tested! After all, seismic design is not
> just academic entertainment here.
> Come on down!

That has ALWAYS interested me.  Here you have one of the most
(if not the most) seismically active states, which means a highly skill
level in structural detailing is required), but it has the "weakest"
experience requirements to obtain a PE license (to my knowledge, EVERY
other state requires 4 years).  Ah, how the world doesn't make sense!!


Adrian, MI

******* ****** ******* ******** ******* ******* ******* ***
*   Read list FAQ at:
*   This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers 
*   Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To 
*   subscribe (no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to:
*   Questions to seaint-ad(--nospam--at) Remember, any email you 
*   send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted 
*   without your permission. Make sure you visit our web 
*   site at: 
******* ****** ****** ****** ******* ****** ****** ********