Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

RE: designers

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
"That has ALWAYS interested me.  Here you have one of the most
(if not the most) seismically active states, which means a highly skill
level in structural detailing is required), but it has the "weakest"
experience requirements to obtain a PE license (to my knowledge, EVERY
other state requires 4 years).  Ah, how the world doesn't make sense!!"

In their defense, they do have that surveying/seismic test that you have to take in addition to the PE exam to get your license.  I don't know much about it, but presumably all their PEs will have demonstrated some minimum level of seismic competence.  It's also a great way of discouraging out of state engineers from licensing by comity, since you have to spend the time and money to travel to California to take the thing, something you probably won't do on a whim.  

Paul Crocker

******* ****** ******* ******** ******* ******* ******* ***
*   Read list FAQ at:
*   This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers
*   Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To
*   subscribe (no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to:
*   Questions to seaint-ad(--nospam--at) Remember, any email you
*   send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted
*   without your permission. Make sure you visit our web
*   site at:
******* ****** ****** ****** ******* ****** ****** ********