RE: designers

"That has ALWAYS interested me.  Here you have one of the most
(if not the most) seismically active states, which means a highly skill
level in structural detailing is required), but it has the "weakest"
experience requirements to obtain a PE license (to my knowledge, EVERY
other state requires 4 years).  Ah, how the world doesn't make sense!!"

In their defense, they do have that surveying/seismic test that you have to take in addition to the PE exam to get your license.  I don't know much about it, but presumably all their PEs will have demonstrated some minimum level of seismic competence.  It's also a great way of discouraging out of state engineers from licensing by comity, since you have to spend the time and money to travel to California to take the thing, something you probably won't do on a whim.

Paul Crocker