Re: Interesting Disclaimer

Bill,

I think what the intent was is to limit a fabricator / detailer from copying your own drawing and sending it back to you as the shop drawing, something we have had occur before.  The key is "in lieu of".  We have similar disclaimers for use of CAD files and so on.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, May 19, 2004 3:47 PM
Subject: Interesting Disclaimer

I do some construction support engineering for a contractor friend of mine from time to time. He gave me a set of drawings for structural rehabilitation of a parking garage today, and I've been looking over them.

I tend to be a real stickler for precision in my specifications and my drawings notes, and try to keep up with "jargon" to make sure I'm clear about what I'm asking. Not to say that I'm "perfect" in this by any stretch--I'm continually trying to improve my processes--but I pride myself on being clear and succinct.

So it's interesting when I see drawings from another engineer who doesn't seem to share my opinion in this regard. For the most part I think many S.E.s crib together a set of general notes for their drawings, and then leave them alone for ten or twelve years. So you get a lot of anachronisms, citing of "obsolete" codes and standards, etc.

I came upon an interesting disclaimer on the set I have been reviewing; it's the last note on the sheet of general notes.

It reads:

"The use of REPRODUCTIONS of these contract drawings by any contractor, subcontractor, erector, fabricator or material supplier in lieu of preparation of shop drawings signifies his acceptance of all information shown hereon as correct, and obligates himself to any job expense, real or implied, arising due to any errors that may occur hereon."

Okay, so if I'm reading this right, if I'm a contractor, subcontractor, erector, fabricator or material supplier connected with this construction, and use this engineer's drawings, and there is an error therein that causes a loss of time or material, that's just my tough luck because I didn't check his drawings?

Any comments?