Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]


[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
Title: Message
My proposal, and it is not original, that a simple enough solution to structural engineering licensing (and it seems states are moving towards this) is:
1. Using NCEES as the national testing agency
2. Creating a Structural Engineering license separate from Civil, or at least as a sub-division
3. Each state can require what level of NCEES SE I, II, or III they require
4. Each state can also require what level they require on particular types of projects
5. My caveat, an SE Bridge license and an SE Building/Misc. Structure. (I didn't mind the bridge questions on NCEES 1 that much but what a waste, I am never going to design a bridge.)
I think CA and IL come close to this from what I can tell, in that bigger buildings require the more advanced license. Maybe 3 story and under in a low seismic area requires a min SE I. 3 story and above an SE II. 3 story above and a seismically active region SE 3. Leave it up to each state but make the testing standards national. This would go a long ways towards licensing in other states.
Finally, sue Microsoft for billions for using the term "Engineer" for someone with an 8 week course in computers. Use that money to fund wind and seismic research, and make us all personally rich.
Although I think FL has passed laws as previously described by others limiting the useage of the term "engineer", I still see ads in the paper for Maintenance Engineer. It is the head maintenance guy at a hotel, and albeit he is skilled, something tells me they are not looking for a 5 year grad and license. But my all time favorite is at Home Depot they used to call the forklift drivers "lot engineers". Whoa.
Andrew Kester, PE
Longwood, FL