Re: designers

Bill Allen wrote:

> Wonder why the word "architect" is protected and not "engineer"? Think AIA
> had anything to do with that?
>
> The last time I checked, the minimum dues for AIA membership is $750 per
> year (compared to less than $200/year for membership in SEAOC). Are the
> dinner meetings that much more elaborate and entertaining? No (DAMHIK). They
> have a PAC and PACs cost money. Whenever one of my architectural colleagues
> start whining about their dues, I remind them of this and they shut up
> pretty quick.
>
> T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E. (CA #2607)
> ALLEN DESIGNS (http://www.AllenDesigns.com)
> San Juan Capistrano, CA

This year AIA dues had an additional fee tacked on to pay for the national
advertising campaign that I keep hearing on the radio.

As one who has been through both registration processes, I don't think we
engineers will ever overcome the hurdles and speak as one group.  AIA and NCARB
(National Council of Architectural Registration Boards) are very cohesive
groups.  Today in practically all states, architects seeking registration have
to file their paperwork with NCARB at the national level and complete the Intern
Architect Program. This gives them an NCARB number at the beginning of their
career. When that has been done, then they apply to their state board to take
the exam. When they pass the exam, they are licensed. The IA program is a a
rigorous paperwork system to demonstrate that the young architects have been
exposed to and worked in all facets of architecture including fee discussions
with clients.

The engineering community is too fractured when compared to the AIA-NCARB
monolith. Too many state boards will not accept record transfer from NCEES. And,
how many engineers actual have an NCEES number? Licensing for engineers is still
accomplished at the state level. There is one national exam for architects.
Engineers still do not have a true national exam.

--
Davis G. Parsons II, PE RA FAEI
a practical architectural engineer