Re: Education of Structural Draftsman (was Structural Designers

>It really seems like the goal of our  management is to eliminate our
>draftsman and hire young, inexperienced, lesser paid engineers who do
>their own drafting and engineering.  The time spent learning,
>back-checking and re-working would kill any project schedule let alone
>budget.
Don't feel like the lone ranger. This has been going on over here on the
dark side for years. More than a few engineering managers think that once
you have a picture, you have a design, therefore anyone who can operate
CAD software is automatically a designer. So you find 'designers' without
the foggiest notion of fabrication techniques or materials behavior, let
alone cost or schedule.

Over here it goes a step further yet, with the incorporation of FEA
capability with some CAD packages. FEA will make your CAD
operator/designer into a CAD operator/designer/structural engineer.
Companies are really buying into it, thanks to inept-leading-the-clueless
marketing presentations by software developers, most of whom haven't a
notion what goes on in a design office, let alone a fab shop.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw