Minimum Slab on Grade Steel

It has always been my opinion that ACI 7.12.2.1 (0.0018 minimum temperature and shrinkage reinforcing) applies to elevated slabs and not slabs on grade.  I have always designed my sog reinforcing to ACI 7.12.2.1.

Is there a code or industry recommendation for sog minimum steel?  I find myself in a situation where a contractor has made an error and I am trying to substantiate my design/specification with code/industry reference while the contractor tries to politely challenge me.

Thanks in advance for your prompt response.

Keith De Lapp, P.E.
KDL ENGINEERING