RE: UBC Section 1512.4 Equation 12-17

Ben -

That's for the alternative basic load combinations (and what I'm used to),
but for the basic load combinations I see that (gulp), roof live load is
actually combined with wind or seismic (see 12-11). All this w/o 1/3
increase!

Sheesh!

This brings me to another question. I know there might be building codes in
the world other than the 1997 UBC which may not have the alternative basic
load combinations, but are there any situations where one would use the
basic load combinations in lieu of the alternative basic load combinations?
Just a quick glance, it doesn't appear that, if one has a choice, this a
very difficult decision.

Thanks,

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E. (CA #2607)
San Juan Capistrano, CA